A seminar on housing, health and social care took place on 28 October 2013 in Derbyshire. Set up by the Derbyshire Partnership Forum and Care & Repair England the seminar considered the relationship between housing, health and social care services. It was prompted by a report produced by John Simmons, older people’s housing champion in the East Midlands and a Board Member of Care & Repair England.
The seminar focused on lifetime homes standards as well as wider issues such as adaptations/Disabled Facilities Grants and affordable warmth with a theme to better promote independent living for older people.
The seminar identified a number of key issues in these areas which are now being taken forward by a small working group who will regularly report to the Health and Well Being Board. The themes identified for the forum to take issues forward included: –
· For the partnership forum itself to take forward issues in a strategic way building a shared responsibility for this integrated approach
- to influence planning policy especially in relation to lifetime homes standards
- to work to identify new funding approaches focused on prevention and investing to save
- to share information and to encourage private sector investment where needed
- to promote good practice and pilot innovation