The national network of Older People’s Housing Champions is developing a manifesto to take to political parties ahead of the next election.
Tony Watts OBE, chairman of the South West Forum on Ageing and housing champion for the South West, presented the network’s emerging manifesto asks on housing at the June UKAFA (United Kingdom Advisory Forum for Ageing) meeting.
‘We all need to influence Government, policy makers and service providers and put housing at the centre of the debate on ageing’ – he said. The manifesto to date includes
- future proofing housing for an ageing society
- engaging older people in the planning and design of homes and neighbourhoods
- promoting greater choice in specialist and general housing for older people
- integrating housing into the planning of health and care
- providing rapid access to affordable repairs and adaptations and practical help to older people to improve and adapt their homes
- providing more independent, impartial information and advice about housing, care and finance options