Care & Repair England keeps in touch with useful national resources that can aid local housing action
Background research evidence and policy
Click here to access a list of useful research, evidence and policies for local action (January 2019)
Practical examples of local action on housing
The guides below offer practical ideas for local older people’s forums and groups who want to influence local housing policy, plans and actions.
Slough 50plus Forum
- Slough 50plus Forum- Older People’s Housing in Slough- Recognising diversity and the importance of home (June 2019)
The report includes links to the personalised “Digital Stories” from some of the forum members.
- The meaning of home: Ivy’s Story
- The meaning of home: Jadine’s Story
- The meaning of home: Alma and St Clair’s Story
- The meaning of home: Colin and Kaki’s Story
- Adapting homes for ageing well in London- Older Londoners’ experiences of home adaptations and opportunities to improve provision (June 2019)
The report includes findings from both the London-wide and London Borough of Hackney focus groups.
Greater Manchester Older People’s Network:
Leeds Older People’s Forum:
- Leeds Older People’s Forum shaping a local older people’s housing strategy
- Leeds Older People’s Forum Housing Strategy: https://housingactionblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/lopf-housing-strategy-2017.pdf (July 2018)
Age UK London:
- Older Londoners influencing the Mayor’s housing strategy
- London Mayor’s Housing Strategy Consultation Online Survey: https://housingactionblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/london-mayors-housing-strategy-consultation-online-survey-november-2017.pdf (July 2018)
MRS Independent Living:
Elders Council of Newcastle:
Housing Voices – how Elders Council of Newcastle, working with Skimstone Arts and Northumbria University, have used theatre and film to engage people in later life conversations about their housing.
- Report Housing Voices July 18
- Link to film which can be used by others (July 2018)
- Resource pack Housing Voices July 18
Wirral Older People’s Parliament
Wirral Older People’s Parliament outreach action to involve older people in Birkenhead and Wallasey concerning proposed waterfront re-development
Click here for examples of other work undertaken by the Older People’s Housing Champions Group.
Right To Manage Case Study a case study on how a group of older residents developed a right to manage company for a retirement scheme in the Wirral, North West (May 2016)
Age Friendly Street Design A practical report on street design produced as a result of work with the Manchester Age Friendly Design Group (September 2016)
Guides for local action
An overview of the planning system and potential opportunities to influence the homes and neighbourhoods being planned click here (November 2018)